Working Carpenter Supervisor
The Benfield ATT Group is a leading timber frame Design & Build organisation. We are currently looking for a well experienced working carpenter to supervise the establishment of a new manufacturing workshop facility in Caldicot, Nr Chepstow, S. Wales. This is a long term career position with excellent prospects.
- Set up new workshop to an established design, including:-
- making folding trestle benches for manufacture of timber frame building components (panels, frames, gables, traditional post & beam, pre-cut rafters, pre-hung doors, etc.)
- checking and setting up small tools (chop saws, routers, nail guns, hand planes) and overseeing installation and maintenance of circular saw, thickness plane, compressor, fork lift, etc.
- Manage materials, manufacture, waste minimisation, movement, handling, storage, despatch, etc.
- Recruit, train, manage (apprentice) operatives to achieve output targets while maintaining strict (ISO) quality and environmental standards and customer satisfaction.
- Open & Close factory to ensure that operatives are at work from 08:00 to 12:00 & 12:30 to 16:30 Mondays to Thursdays and 08:00 to 13:00 on Fridays + any extra time necessary to maintain output targets.
- premises in clean, tidy condition, waste disposed of, no hazards allowed to build up
- fire drills, extinguishers and other equipment
- Establish and Maintain existing and new product improvement and development
- Liase with Suppliers and Customers to maintain quality and on time deliveries
Fully qualified bench, shop, and (preferably) site carpentry including:-
- Reading, checking and interpreting drawings to ensure:-
- accuracy and speed of component manufacture (timber frame panels, installing insulation, traditional Post & Beam frames)
- correct material & component deliveries
- ease of assembly on site
- Site visits as necessary to:-
- erect timber frame buildings
- advise & instruct on-site erectors
- resolve any assembly issues that occur
- Induction & Supervision of operatives
- Health & Safety + First Aid
- Current UK driving licence
- Materials take-off from drawings + ability to create simple pre-manufacture sketches / drawings to scale
- Costing, stock management and related cost controls
- Delivery load planning and scheduling to minimise transport
- Use of:-
- AutoCAD and similar computer aided design programmes
- Use of bar chart programmes for scheduling and controlling work
- Fork lift licence (training given if not)
- Telehandler, banksman, slinger experience and certificates
- Experience of training others and handling customers
- CSC qualified
Through sound development of role and further training in-house and external courses to progress through:-
- works manager to monthly paid staff position
- production manager
4 1/2 day week - 07:55 to 16:35 with 1/2 hour lunch Monday to Thursday, 07:55 to 13:05 Friday (37 hrs 50 mins / week)
PLUS any hours neceddary to achieve targeted production.
NOTE: no overtime rates are paid for such time worked.
- Initial basic wage £9 per hour + bonus related to total production (Initial OTE circa £27K p.a.)
- Statutory holidays & sick pay
- Training to help career progression
- Annual increments related to progressive training and qualifications